A client I’ve been working with recently has been migrating their Intranet from SharePoint 2007 to 2013, and we’ve been using the pretty impressive Quest Migration Suite for SharePoint, which is now sold by Dell since the Quest change of ownership.
I’ve found the tool to be very impressive, quite efficient and generally fairly intuitive, but I came across an interesting issue, or perhaps “side-effect”, that after reviewing the User Manual, isn’t “warned against”, but probably deserves to be.
Continue reading “An unfortunate side-effect while migrating Sharepoint content from 2007 to 2013 causes some embarassment” →
I’ve been supporting a SharePoint 2013 environment that I didn’t build recently, and was trying to deploy some Excel spreadsheets in document libraries, which were implicitly being opened in Excel Services, except that appeared to be mis-configured. The very “un-descriptive” error message generated was a modal dialog box like the following:
Continue reading “Frustrations with badly configured Excel Services under SharePoint 2013” →
On a number of occasions, I’ve wanted to migrate a SharePoint 2010 Site Collection from a Production environment back over to a Testing or Development environment with, and the results have met with mixed success. The most common issue, was that the Managed Metadata term sets didn’t “hook up” correctly.
This problem is pretty much to be expected, given every SharePoint Farm has a separate Managed Metadata Service. And even if two Managed Metadata Services were “seeded” with the same term sets initially, they would never be “internally” equivalent. Why? Because, within every Managed Metadata Service, every term set, and within every term set, every term has a unique identifier assigned to it, as well as its textual description, to ensure uniqueness.
Continue reading “Copying a SharePoint 2010 Site Collection from one Farm to Another” →
My SharePoint State Machine workflow has come a long way since my last post, and I’m going to record my discoveries and tips over the coming weeks. The first discovery is the importance of procrastination.
Procrastination you ask? Well, actually the use of a Delay event within a SharePoint workflow. Continue reading “SharePoint Workflow and the infamous “save conflict” error – Part 2 – The Delay activity is your friend” →
I’ve been working with SharePoint 2007 workflows for a couple of months now, and one of the most frustrating issues I’ve encountered is the generation of a “Save Conflict” exception in workflow code.
The scenario we’ve seen is as follows:
- Your workflow code needs to update a field on the list item it is running against.
- You make the change to the field required and called the Update method of the item.
- An exception is thrown with the following message:
Save Conflict – Your changes conflict with those made concurrently by another user. If you want your changes to be applied, click Back in your Web browser, refresh the page, and resubmit your changes. Continue reading “SharePoint Workflow and the infamous “Save Conflict” error” →
You must be logged in to post a comment.