An unfortunate side-effect while migrating Sharepoint content from 2007 to 2013 causes some embarassment

A client I’ve been working with recently has been migrating their Intranet from SharePoint 2007 to 2013, and we’ve been using the pretty impressive Quest Migration Suite for SharePoint, which is now sold by Dell since the Quest change of ownership.

I’ve found the tool to be very impressive, quite efficient and generally fairly intuitive, but I came across an interesting issue, or perhaps “side-effect”, that after reviewing the User Manual, isn’t “warned against”, but probably deserves to be.

Continue reading “An unfortunate side-effect while migrating Sharepoint content from 2007 to 2013 causes some embarassment”

Frustrations with badly configured Excel Services under SharePoint 2013

I’ve been supporting a SharePoint 2013 environment that I didn’t build recently, and was trying to deploy some Excel spreadsheets in document libraries, which were implicitly being opened in Excel Services, except that appeared to be mis-configured. The very “un-descriptive” error message generated was a modal dialog box like the following:

excelServices001

Continue reading “Frustrations with badly configured Excel Services under SharePoint 2013”